This time our guest is Uwe Hering CEO & Founder of myLike. A smart mobile app that solves the problem that most of us have when travelling or want to find interesting spots in our town. Best option for this pain is to ask people whom you trust. The rest is in the podcast. myLike’s story is a great story for people engaged in apps business, you guys can learn a lot from this startup.
In this interview Joe interviews Alex, who is the mind behind the #Brexit hedge for startups, fintechs and their investors www.joinmainland.com. The interview is done outside (link to pictures here) and therefore there is some noise in the background, we apologize for that. The area where both met in Offenbach just undergoes vast construction and will be a posh neighborhood pretty soon.
Alex wants to help #Brexit concerned startups and investors to open an office in this area (Offenbach or Frankfurt) and establish with it a Brexit #hedge. They can soon call up the office of the initiative and ask for help and advice to set up a small and cheap office in Offenbach or Frankfurt (each city opposite the other on the river Main).
The office space in Offenbach is new, high end and very cheap compared to London. You can learn more on the website www.joinmainland.com
Quick video explanation from the initiative.
This is the first news wrap up after the summer break. What we have been up to during the summer:
- We got for you an update on the billion dollar project of a startup campus. The project shall be called Silicon Valley of Europe and will be located in the vicinity of Frankfurt. We wait for the results of a land auction if the project will get the required area: https://www.startupradio.de/der-silicon-valley-of-europe-update/
- We introduced our listeners to a short format “in nuce” (in brief), where we introduce our listeners to several event formats in short podcasts
- We had a Sommer-Interview. There is a tradition in Germany to do in the summer outdoor interviews and so we did as well, with Souleyman from Africa Green Tec. We talk about their project the solar container: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp1gZh_pONk
- We conducted interviews with startups and investors at the Venture Capital Forum in Frankfurt, including the VC who was the A-Round lead in MySQL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87viss42R6w
- We did our first interview with a polish startup, who is working on recycling: http://www.startuprad.io/interviews/interview-marcin-lotysz-cto-bin-e-smart-garbage-bin-will-save-company-money/
- For the FinTech fans here. We did two interviews with Luka, co-founder of the mobile banking app Penta, who want to be the banking interface of choice for small and medium enterprises in Germany and France.
- In the first interview we talk about Luka and Penta, how he came from selling shoes on the streets of New York city to co-found a fintech in Berlin. http://www.startuprad.io/interviews/interview-penta-mobile-banking-app-small-medium-companies/
- In the second interview we talk about venture capital and Luka’s experience with raising it in the US and Europe http://www.startuprad.io/interviews/interview-penta-part-ii/
- Love the wisdom in the interview: Don’t marry the sexiest people,but the ones who bring most to the table.
Startupradio.de (our German channel) is once again listed as a need-to-know source for every entrepreneur in Germany: http://www.deutsche-startups.de/2016/08/25/5-podcasts-die-sich-jeder-gruender-anhoeren-sollte/
Frankfurt and region making themselves heard in London http://ow.ly/O91p304CenE
Frankfurt turns into #Fintech city writes local newspaper Frankfurter Rundschau, listing 35 fintechs in the city center alone. Here is the map: https://twitter.com/GangolfSchrimpf/status/773044029323931648
- The robo advisor Ginmon raised “millions” from London based Passion Capital http://ow.ly/6gRG303uzjm
- Frankfurt insurance startup Clark raises €13.2 million http://ow.ly/tgqI302Sbfn
- Cloud Computing: Frankfurt is on the way to become the could computing center of Europe writes Wirtschaftswoche http://ow.ly/GV8v303uze6
- From one of the first startup guys in Frankfurt, there is now the “Intro to the Frankfurt Tech scene” http://ow.ly/MuVs302S2k9
- More signs of life: Relative to its population, Frankfurt is the most mentioned startup city in Germany on the Internet http://ow.ly/pIm6302nFsX
Financing for 42 ha (for americans 103 acres) innovation center & startup campus close to Frankfurt have been secured. We are waiting for the official results of the public bidding. This is associated with out interview mentioned above, but an article by Frankfurt based news paper Frankfurter Rundschau http://ow.ly/ZNGY303z8oD
In Berlin, the flagship startups of Rocket Internet are not doing especially well, but this seems not to matter too much to the overall tech scene http://ow.ly/aWvz3041gCZ
Hit a rough patch in all of 2016 so far:
- Home24: Rocket internet slashed the valuation into half, erasing approx. half a billion Euros from the book value of the company http://ow.ly/lGk73041bTV
- Delivery Hero is reported by Manager Magazin to have been unable to raise venture capital and therefore went for a expensive loan http://ow.ly/1b5E304BqW9
- HelloFresh had to put its IPO plans on hold http://ow.ly/PxvW304Br1f
- And it really struggles making money, acquiring customers is too expensive. http://www.wsj.com/articles/rocket-internets-marketing-costs-keep-profit-at-bay-1474551037
- Global Fashion Group erased more than 1.5 bn USD in paper valuation, as it raised 364 mn US$ in venture capital http://ow.ly/C4Wd304Brda
- Rocket Internet Troubles Mount After Latest Startup Down Round – Bloomberg http://ow.ly/29IC3041h6N
Tesla: A close Musk associate Antonio Gracias has been turned down by a bavarian battery producing sme called Sonnen, writes manager magazin. Tesla seem to have been interested taking a stake in the company http://ow.ly/XXtx3040Ln9
Here is the promised interview of Elon Musk by Y Combinator: How to Build the Future – YouTube http://ow.ly/r7Wr304CqpC
The story of Travador, they started out as a startup for travel flash sales. This did not work out, the did a pivot and developed their own booking platform for short and weekend trips. Now they are profitable http://ow.ly/TtAl304cd4E
Unister was a talking point all through summer. The company behind several B2C travel portals like abindenurlaub.de (like head for vacation) or flüge.de (flights) are owned by the company. The holding company itself is under receivership right now. The founder apparently wanted to avoid that and fell for a scam (so called rip deals), the founder Thomas Wagner getting a cash loan of several millions swiss francs in counterfeit money, in exchange for posting a collateral in real cash. Than to make havoc on the company absolute …. the private jet in which they transported back the money crashed and killed the jet’s crew and passengers (including Mr. Wagner) http://www.n-tv.de/wirtschaft/Unister-Chef-Wagner-ging-volles-Risiko-article18424011.html
Automated Vehicles / Automated Driving
“German OEMs retain their lead over US automakers when it comes to incorporating automated functions in mass produced vehicles.” writes Roland Berger in their newest research on automated vehicles
The US and Germany lead the field in terms of automated vehicle expertise.
The Economist thiks there will be a starbucks effect in chocolate as well and is asking “Who will be the Starbucks of chocolate?” http://ow.ly/IqWD3033ZHx
Know-how for those with vision
Germany performing well in region innovation rankings, writes the European Commision in a publication http://ec.europa.eu/growth/node/1378_de
Peter Thiel at Stanford to Share Tips from his book “Zero to One” – YouTube http://ow.ly/BVAq302O1vC
Peter Thiel on the Global Economy, the State Tech and Artificial Intelligence – YouTube http://ow.ly/4Cw6302O1Jg
John and Joe talk again with Luka in our second part of the interview with Penta, the banking app for small and medium enterprises. If you missed it, here is the interview part one, in which we talk about Luka (aka Luke) and the company he co-founded: Penta.
This time Luka talks mainly about raising venture capital and his experiences, since he did it already in the US and is right now in the process in Berlin. So he compares the environment in Germany (Europe) and the US. He also points out some important points about raising venture capital.
During the interview we touch:
And here is your link to the (a bit edgy) interview with Edwina from Startupbootcamp Fintech London.
Disclaimer: Joe is a repeated mentor on the Frankfurt pitch days of Startupbootcamp Fintech and our startuprad.io team successfully referred PENTA for the SBC Fintech accelerator in London.
We have been at the CODE_n new.New festival in Karlsruhe, in the south of Germany. From there we bring you four short interviews in English, within this audio file:
- We a talk to Jessica from everledger, an application of the blockchain in the diamond industry. During the interview we talk about:
- We talk to Alex, co-founder of Urban Alps, who produce a high security stealth key via 3d printing. The important part is that all relevant parts are inside the key and therefore the key cannot easily be copied e.g. via a 3d printer, as with other keys.
- We talk to Erez CEO and founder of CRiskCo, a company which helps to evaluate credit risk for small and medium enterprises, as a SaaS. His software uses an artificial intelligence to assist his clients and also to get even better over time.
- We talk to Frederik and Flemming from FaunaPhotonics who work with remote sensing products in agriculture and malaria control, utilizing lasers. Their solution will be able to count insects in real time.
In this interview we introduce our listeners to John (who will also conduct interviews in Arabic for Startupradio). Please give him a warm welcome!
John and Joe together interview our guest Luka from Penta, located in Berlin. It wants to be the digital bank interface for German and French Small and Medium Enterprises (SME). Right now they don’t have a banking license.
In the first interview of two interviews, Luka tells us also about his previous ventures. Together with him we take a trip through his live. He tells us how he sold shoes on the streets of New York and about studying in Paris. We learn how he ended up in Berlin and how he approached the idea of Penta. Finally we talk of course about Penta, who is in the current batch of Startupbootcamp Fintech (London). (Disclaimer, Joern is a regular mentor at the SBC Fintech pitch day in Frankfurt)
In the second part of the interview we talk with Luka about raising venture capital and his experiences in Europe and the US doing so.
Polish startup Bin-e is going to revolutionize the waste management in offices. In this short audio interview we had the chance to talk with Marcin. Marcin is the co-founder and CTO of Bin-e. The IoT startup Bin-e builds a smart trash can, which recognizes, segregates and compresses the waste. And ones it’s full notifies the right people to empty it.
Tune in now and find out how the founders:
- came up with the idea,
- how the smart waste bin will work,
- which target group they want to reach
- and how their smart bin will help companies to save money.
This is the last news podcast before the summer break. We will be back with more interviews, new formats and even live streams in September.
Our recent publications:
- Interview with Startup Weekend Mittelhessen http://ow.ly/OssK302b3BI
- RoadTrip from Austin – Startuprad.io goes #SXSW S1, E7 – Lengoo http://ow.ly/FJ2i302b7WP
- Interview with Pleo – Pioneers Festival winner of the Challenge Day http://ow.ly/iC87302b7ZK
Of course, the big news in the last 6 weeks has been the Brexit. Many cities are fighting for the businesses, banks and startups leaving the UK. We collected articles for on the topic:
- Must read, even if it is a bit technical: What Can the U.K. Stock Market Tell You About Brexit? – Bloomberg http://ow.ly/8GrY302dbHm
- Many EU capitals woo British business, after the vote https://t.co/ITaEnINBD6
- The Guardian write that the Brexit vote has already hurt tech, but worse is still to come https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/07/brexit-already-hurt-tech-but-next-step-could-be-worse
- Berlin wants to be the post-Brexit fintech capital http://ow.ly/z53D3020I3n
- TechCrunch sees the possibility of a following brain drain http://ow.ly/cPQg30278uN
- Frankfurt, Berlin want to get UK firms moving there http://ow.ly/6FR73027bed
We found news on two hubs, Frankfurt and another one, which may have escaped your sight, the lovely city of Heidelberg.
is home to the 2nd oldest university in Europe (approx 400 years older than Harvard), home to a world class medical school. This also draws in biotech companies, tech startups and centers like the German Cancer research center. Don’t forget the proximity to software giant SAP and cities like Stuttgart or even Frankfurt (35 minutes by high speed train). “5 Reasons to build your startup in Heidelberg instead of Berlin (Ger)” http://ow.ly/Kc3K3022KEJ
Best Startups of Frankfurt University, thanks to their incubator called Unibator (Ger) http://ow.ly/48rO301YhTO
Accelerator Frankfurt, you can apply now! As a startup in fintech, cybersecurity or a web based startup http://ow.ly/d58N3020oeO
Frankfurt based fintech savedroid AG closes 1mn € seed funding and releases its beta version for micro savings https://t.co/7UM2BQ4lzq –
Natehelps.de is the startup Chris is talking about, while discussin the news.
This is how travel portal Travelcircus had a rocket like launch (Ger) http://www.morgenpost.de/wirtschaft/karriere/article207765433/So-gelang-dem-Reiseportal-Travelcircus-der-Senkrechtstart.html?__pwh=F3mLBo0YTGmmzIFwWppiNA%3D%3D
Fintech superstar Number26 goes through a phase of heavy scrutinizing right now. They claimed to have “Europe’s most modern bank account” and they wanted to do everything in finance differently, yet now they took some of it back http://www.handelsblatt.com/unternehmen/banken-versicherungen/fintech-number-26-auf-dem-weg-zur-normalen-bank/13861690.html
And a look at the solar industry: There’s company “Sonnen“, now really getting more and more into the US market http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/07/sonnens-new-battery-for-solar-self-consumption-could-succeed-in-us/
We also had rumors, which turned out to be untrue: Media reported that Alipay wanted to buy a 25% stake in Munich based Wirecard payments provider https://t.co/0ANJPnCkLI
Half a year is over and this may be the first time to look back. For this we use the collection of the most important venture capital investments the blog deutsche-startups.de and we only see two rocket startups in the top 11. This is quite surprising, since the rocket startups used to be the list (zalando, delivery hero, …). Times are changing?
(Article was changed since we based our news on it) http://ow.ly/q2QO302d8jf
* SoundCloud (100 mn + 32 mn US$)
* eGym (45 mn US$)
* Number26 (40 mn US$)
* Finanzcheck.de (33 mn Euro)
* Spotcap (31,5 mn Euro) – Rocket Startup
* Celonis (27,5 mn US$)
* SnapShot (25 Millionen)
* Movinga (25 mn US$)
* Thermondo (23,5 mn Euro)
* tado (20 mn Euro)
* Home24 (20 mn Euro) – Rocket Startup
You can now apply for the wards handed out by Google, McKinsey and Rocket https://techcrunch.com/2016/06/30/google-mckinsey-and-rocket-internet-launch-search-for-europes-best/
You can apply now to the Euro Finance Tech Award, which will be handed over at the Euro Finance Tech in November this year in Frankfurt http://www.eurofinancetech.com/blog/award2016/
Know-how for those with vision
- Top 20 Reasons Startups Fail https://t.co/GYP2gXzmiw
- A how to, this time “How to Craft a Billion Dollar Pitch Deck” http://ow.ly/gG7U300N3le
- Just Build a Great Company Where You Are and Stop Talking About Moving to Silicon Valley https://t.co/JvJ7MoLSwT
- In Insurtech robo advisors disrupt Insurance http://buff.ly/29tmMz8
- The story of Amazon Web Services http://ow.ly/bXLS302eGlF
- A Status Quo on Venture Capital Fundraising in Germany http://ow.ly/fkh1301TBPc
- 14-year-old Australian boy makes $10,000 in one week by reselling toys from China https://t.co/2MxjgkyTrU
- Definitions of Seed and Pre-Seed http://bit.ly/29gYfbd
- Tony Hsieh, CEO of Zappos, featured on 20/20 http://ow.ly/hkAD302jjkP
- Zappos’ Hsieh: Building a Formidable Brand http://ow.ly/SkJO302jjmK
As a media partners at the Pioneer Festival in Vienna we are happy to share with you our talk with the winner of the Challenge Day – Pleo Startup. Pleo decentralises company spending, eliminates expense reports and reimbursements and simplifies bookkeeping. Jeppe, co-founder of Pleo, told us about his startup idea, shared his experience in fintech, gave some prognoses that can hit the financial institutions! Moreover, Jeppe told us about his days at the Pioneer’s Festival and what could you experience there. Stay tuned and listen to our podcast!
www.pioneers.io – Learn more about the Pioneer’s Festival
www.pleo.io – Here you can learn more about Pleo startup and get a beta version
On the 20th-22 th of May Maria from Startuprad.io visited Startup Weekend Mittelhessen which took place in Giessen. We talked to Martin Lacroix – the main organiser of the event and asked him about the development of the startup scene in Mittelhessen. If you are interested to see a video interview with one of the participant, head off to http://www.thm-wg-1.de/2016/05/31/start-up-weekend-mittelhessen/ and you will learn there about some ideas that were worked at by the participants of the event.